Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

So, there are a lot of mixed reviews going on about Twilight.  While I  think they probably could have done better, I will admit that I liked it.

First of all, it depended a lot on the assumption that everyone has read the books.  There isn't much of the character development you would normally see in a stand alone movie, other than perhaps Bella.  Then again, I don't know if that varies too much from the first book.  You learn to love Bella and Edward first and then over the span of the four books you learn a whole lot more about everyone else.  I've read complaints about the choppiness and everything and I really just think this is why....Its more of a companion to the novel rather than its equal.  Its so that people can see their favorite scenes enacted before them. I will say it is very much a "surface" movie....What I mean is that there isn't too much depth put to the scenes...its just, watch and enjoy....but you know...there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that kind of movie every so often.  

Overall I thought it was a nice relaxed night/morning at the movies.  What I liked is how they turned many of the overly melodramatic and gushy scenes into more humorous ones.  I honestly think that might have been rather painful to sit through.  However, in making Edwards supposed disgust for Bella in the beginning so extreme, it made it comical. As an audience you are suppose to feel what Bella did, which is basically, "What the fuck?"  A lot of fans have blamed this on Robert's acting abilities, as if it cheapened the movie...however, I think it was deliberate.  It made it enjoyable. I know I definitely laughed throughout some of those parts in the book.  I will also say, that the Bella in the movie is slightly different than the one in the books.  She is pretty much the same, but theres just something different.  I don't know if its just Stewart's innate teenage edginess, or the wit, or just whatever, she's somehow different. Oh and also, I liked that they included Stephanie Meyer in one of the dining scenes...

Two things I overtly didn't like really were the segueway into the second book (the fact that Victoria was there was alright....but did she really have to walk down the staircase and let loose her hair like some classic hollywood actress?  I mean if she's letting her hair down and ready to get to  business okay...but it just seemed pointless) and the use of the quote "of three things I was certain."  Granted, I never have really liked that quote.  It was always a little too cheesy in print....and idk....saying it where they did made it even worse.

-cheers
(btw, the baseball scene is kind of kick ass.)

No comments: