Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Randomness While Sick

So, before I say anything else, Monday night television was delightful.  HIMYM was much better, though I don't know how I feel about this Don fellow,  and BBT was great as always.

Right now I am suppose to be at the bookstore working, but like many days lately, I'm feeling a bit sick and had to call out.  I took some medicine so I'm feeling much better though.  For the last hour or so I've just been hanging around online doing this and that....catching up on shows and what not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxa6P73Awcg  <--Stephen Fry tweeted this earlier in the day.  amAZing!  The world never ceases with its wonder.  Thats why I love the phrase in my banner, "There's too much beauty to quit."  Its from This amazingly written and edited movie Stay.  ( no clue why I keep using amazing.)  The whole film really kind of is about beauty in a way.  I've been thinking a lot about this topic the last few days.  This, of course, being spurred by the fact that we're reading Virginia Woolf in Modern British Literature.  I love it....mainly though because I have always been so transfixed by beauty, both tragic and not.  Isn't it curious that, both Stay and a lot of Virginia Woolf's work, not to mention countless other works that talk about this beauty, are closely linked to suicide?  Is it that the artistic soul is just naturally depressed because of all of the sadness they perceive, or is the artistic soul just naturally a bit off its rocker to begin with?  Eh, who knows.  By the way, no need to worry.  I am not suicidal.  I might be a little paranoid and my  "mind is rather wreckless" , but that is all.  I just think the relationship is interesting.  I do like this last paragraph from The Unknown Virginia Woolf;  

"In 1941, it was the embodiment of Virginia which forced her decision.  She could not face being blown to bits.  The water was her friend ever since she was a child in Cornwall.  The water could be trusted.  The water was peace.  The water would receive her with the dignity that she felt she needed, and indeed, deserved" (Poole 279).

More to come probably on this subject later probably as I sit down to work on my paper on To The Lighthouse.  For now I must retreat back into A Thousand Acres and research on it so as to be prepared for my presentation on Monday.  

I will leave you with this, the last scene of The Hours, because I've been thinking of this movie over and over again while we've been reading Mrs. Dalloway and its just wunderbare.



(also this is an adorable homemade music video for Mraz' Sleeping to Dream if you want to watch it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274558/)

Cheers

No comments: